We’re not buying a house
At least not any time soon! We went to a few open houses, and have been seriously talking about it, but I just don’t think it is the right time.
Reasons to buy a house:
- We live in the general area we will most likely live for a very long time
- Irrational or “soft” reasons, such as: “I don’t know, I just want to!”
- Interest rates are very low.
- We have the cash ready. Basically.
- I don’t intend to rent for life, I plan to stay in this area, so why wait?
Reasons not to buy a home:
- Prices are really high. Even if we can afford something suitable, that doesn’t mean we should.
- I should be more firm in my long term plans for my job. I have no plans of leaving, but it is typical for people to leave after ~2 years. I’m not saying I will, but I am just not sure what the future holds. If I do end up looking for a new job, where we live would drive my geographic radius for job searching.
- Houses are expensive and higher maintenance.
- We are still pretty new to the area and are figuring out neighborhoods and what we want.
- Moving is stressful. I can’t imagine how stressful buying a home, THEN moving would be.
- No, but seriously. $750k? And we are still pressed for available houses? What is this???
I’m trying to limit my time looking at houses on RedFin, because I’ve always been horrible at window shopping. I shop with a purpose, not just to see!
Did you (or will you ) decide to buy a home based on life conditions (you were ready / “needed” a house”), market conditions, or both? I think I should wait for both, but I hate being patient!