Skip to content

Travel Fund Focus

July 22, 2009

I would like to get my Travel Fund to $3000 by the end of next March.  The Travel Fund has been a revolving fund to use for plane tickets and backpacking trips rather than a fund I really try to build up.  But 2010 will bring some major traveling.  Finally!


We may not go on a big honeymoon immediately after the wedding, but certainly by the end of the summer.  My main concern is getting what I want out of our first major trip together since 2006, so if I want to to to the French Alp, I’ll wait until the season is right.    If we wait, perhaps we’d do a mini-honeymoon around here, like a long weekend in Santa Barbara or something.

Additionally, we’ll need to buy plane tickets to T’s home state for the reception there, and to my home state to visit my grandparents and the rest of the relatives that decide not to come out for the wedding.  Those could run $500 each (though I hope not!).

I also intend to buy a plane ticket home in September, and another one in December.  In May I scored a fantastic deal for about $120 RT, but right now tickets are more like $320, so I’m waiting.   I could book my Christmas tickets today for $313 (maybe I should??).  Typically they are $500+, but a new airline started flying in the past year.

Current Balance: $486
Expected Expenditures before March: $600
Total to save: $3115    ($3600-$486)
Per Month: $390

I’ve been saving something like $225 and intended to increase that to $300 when I’m done with the wedding fund.  Clearly that isn’t enough, and I’ll have to cut in other areas to make it up.  I will use a portion of my “extra paycheck” to boost the savings, which means I only need about $350 a month built into regular savings.  Hmm… where to find that?

2 Comments leave one →
  1. July 22, 2009 2:41 pm

    Ohh the French Alps! J just went there in April to climb Mont Blanc. He said it was so gorgeous, but the climb up was super sketchy. He fell into a crevasse and they got hit by like 10 mini avalanches. 😦

  2. July 22, 2009 2:59 pm

    @krystal – Yeah, we would be circling it, not climbing it. We’d have to wait until June/July when conditions are more for “walkers” (as they seem to call hiking in Europe) rather than people with intense mountain skills like J! While not 100% safe, I think it is doable (but am still researching!!! )

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: