What’s Important: November 2009
In my September Wrap-Up, I talked about how I’m not really meeting my goals very often. “If I don’t mean them, why do I write them? If I do really mean them, why don’t I meet them?”
I like writing goals. I like taking the time at the beginning of the month and noting what is coming up, where I’d like to improve, and how I’m going to do it. But there are a lot of things I think I “should” do every month, and I just don’t. I don’t make the time for them, they aren’t truly that big of a priority, but part of me wishes they were. Everything can’t be a priority though.
I tried a “weekly priorities” entry last week, but it still didn’t really do anything to benefit my life, and I don’t think I’m going to continue it.
For lack of a better idea, here’s what is important to me in November. These are not goals, they are plans. Plans are something you intend to do, goals are something you strive to do. Maybe goals will come back when i haven’t crazily overscheduled myself!
- Obviously I have specific work related goals. I’m still trying to get fully integrated into my new group and new role. I need to become less hesitant and more proactive. I’m generally proactive, but if I get tired and worn out and stressed, sometimes I just go with whatever the day throws at me and think I’ll deal with any of the unpleasantries the next day. Then the next. . . If I’m not busy, I need to ask what I should be doing. If I don’t understand my assignment, I need to ask for help. Etc.
School This is going to be the source of the most stress!
- Phone conferencing with both profs early this month to define direction of projects. (I still haven’t done much.)
- Two preliminary project reports due pre-Thanksgiving
- Lock myself up next weekend to make some huge progress
- Get a lot of work done over Thanksgiving break
- Back to frugality! I posted my budget, and I’ll post the results. That pretty much encompasses my entire financial situation.
- But don’t stress about it. This is going to be a busy month. I have a feeling we’re going to be getting take-out and such more often than usual, which isn’t frugal. But I’ll accept it in the short term.
- Sleep. I need to sleep to stay sane. Again, 9:30 in bed, 10:00 asleep is my goal. (Weekends screw this up!)
- I’m running with some coworkers once a week after work (starting next week!). That should be interesting. If I do one more run on the weekend, I shouldn’t lose all my endurance.
- Boot camp once a week for strength training.
- Try to buy lots of healthy-ish things that can be eaten without spending a lot of time preparing (fruit and veggies, of course — any other suggestions?)
- Vegas Vacation! This is just for a weekend, but we’re going to Vegas! I think my mom and sister are meeting us there.
- Christmas Shopping – I want to get this done over Thanksgiving. But NOT Black Friday! Perhaps via the internet.
- Wedding – We need to touch base with our invitation friend. And mail in our ceremony contract/deposit. Other things can probably be put off for awhile.