I love the 4th of July – it is such a no-pressure summery holiday!
If you are looking for a fun weekend activity, I highly recommend taking a boat to the channel islands – we booked last minute and loved it! It is cheaper to get to than Catalina (though further away from L.A.) and not as much of a tourist destination. I’m already making plans to go back and spend the night and try out some kayaking!
Weekend Fun Recap:
- 5-6ish mile hike on Santa Cruz Island
- Ate at my favorite Thai place (Spicy BBQ, order the jackfruit)
- Saw a zillion dolphins!
- Saw some starfish – I have been wanting to see a real sized one “in the wild” forever and explored tidepools a few times to do it… only to find several that live in the marina (in Oxnard). 15 feet from a parking lot, no exploration needed!
- 3 mile run (I’m back on track!)
- Saw an “island fox” on the channel islands
- Invented a new drink which we call “pineapple fizz” (invented out of being too cheap to buy ingredients for the LAist’s recommended list)
- Finished Dexter season 4 (… wow!)
- Made successful cream sauce with roux (have failed 2x before)
- Framed some of T’s recent artwork (I think he’s seriously talented, especially for a hobby)
Weekend Spending recap:
- Boat to/from channel island was $45 each
- Lunch at Spicy BBQ was $56 for a group of 4 of us, $28 for our share
- Groceries (hence the pineapple fizz!) for about $60 (for the two of us)