Farm Fresh To You Delivery #2
Last month I mentioned I was interested in joining a CSA. Last week we received our second box of fresh fruits and veggies from Farm Fresh To You, and I’m ready to report that I’m one satisfied customer!
Here are the facts:
- Initial Impressions: The website is very easy to use, and they post all the information online — this is a huge plus
Lots of choice for size of box
Lots of choice for composition of box
Can customize orders
Can put things on “never send me this” lists (I recommend doing this to beets!)
Home or office delivery
No commitment (very important)
- Cons: They deliver at 8:30 am. I don’t get home until after 5. Luckily, T can usually get home to get the order inside, but the first order sat in the heat all day. The produce wasn’t damaged, but I bet it would have been better to have it refrigerated. Note that your delivery time is unique, and they will also deliver to offices. So work with them if this is a real issues for you.
- Price Range: $25 and up
- All Organic: Yes
- Just how local is it? It is based out of San Francisco, and is local to THEM. But to me, it is about 350 miles away. This is a big negative for me. In my first shipment, most of the fruit was from the general area surrounding SF, and one item was from near Bakersfield.
- Satisfaction: The produce was all high quality. I was happy with my order. Yum!
- Value: I got the “regular mixed” order for $31.50. In a rough comparison, I calculated I could buy the same groceries (non-organic) at my local store for about $18-$23. I don’t usually buy organic, so I didn’t do a comparison.
My favorite part is they put ALL the information online and you can cancel any time. You can see exactly what you’ll get, and make a decision about the value yourself. There is no risk.
I really like trying new fruits and veggies that aren’t part of my usual grocery trips. However, if you aren’t one for cooking, you can get a box made of produce that is ready to eat. Or all fruit. Or all vegetable. It is incredibly flexible. We were scheduled to get a box on the day we were going out of town for a long weekend and I just went online to change it. I don’t know about you, but I love it when I don’t have to call a business for a routine request.
I’ve never been, but they also occasionally invite members to their farms for things like… tomato festivals? So if you are seriously into food and farmers, that might be of interest to you.
Verdict? I’m sticking with it for now. We are only on the once a month plan (or maybe every 3 weeks?), which means it isn’t our sole source of vegetables. But it is a nice addition!
If you live in anywhere in the L.A. or SF area (and are a long time reader and commenter of my blog) and want to sign up, I’d REALLY appreciate you contacting me so you can use my name as a referral. I get a free box of produce if you do!!! But if you just want $5 off your first order without contacting me, just enter promo code 6164. I won’t hold it against you.