Skip to content

Chores by gender

November 8, 2010

After reading Little Miss Moneybags post on chores by gender, I realized how inefficient our current chores system is.   No one has clear responsibility for anything, and a lot of the time things slip through the cracks.

I only listed the one who I thought did most of the effort.  Clearly, if I wrote 70% for one of us, the other takes care of it about 30% of the time.  Here it is:

SP
Meal planning/Grocery List making
Cooking (~70%)
Vacation/Travel planner
Laundry (70%)
Straightening/Tidying (70%)
Kitchen counters/table

T
Floors (sweeping/mopping kitchen/bathroom, vacuum the rest)
Deep cleaning/scrubbing of things
Latte maker 😉
Handyman
Art maker
Sewer of buttons and other simple sewing mends
Garbage/Recycling (70%)

Equally shared/Done together
Grocery shopping (usually together, sometimes either of us will go)
Bathroom scrubbing (either)
Dishes (mostly the dishwasher though)
Car stuff (he has knowledge, but it is mostly my car)
Putting away the clean laundry (we typically each do our own)

It probably would be most efficient to divide and conquer, with clear responsibilities, but that has never worked very well.  We both have had pretty erratic schedules (though mine has calmed quite a bit since finishing school!) so it is a bit ad hoc.

Even though I see the inefficiency, I don’t think now is a good time to renegotiate.  T has  a broken arm (!) and is trying to graduate in about 6 months, including securing a job.  (Yay real income!)

Advertisements
4 Comments leave one →
  1. November 9, 2010 7:59 am

    BF = Cooking, Cleaning, Organizing, Packing Apartment to Move (!!!) including dish washing if it’s in there

    Me = Cook for myself (only my weird meals he doesn’t like), organize and pack only MY things
    I also do laundry, iron and clean on occasion (very light cleaning)

  2. November 9, 2010 10:33 am

    Me: wash dishes, wash and fold clothes, shop for and put away groceries
    Bf: vaccuum, iron,cook

    Everything else is shared.

  3. November 9, 2010 8:57 pm

    That’s a pretty good split. Mr. Not-So-Frugal takes care of all the garbage/recycling and cat food/litter needs, and also does his own laundry. We take turns doing the dishes, and occasionally, he’ll make dinner, if it’s something simple. But I think we need to get him doing some more around here!

  4. seenonflickr permalink
    November 11, 2010 12:01 pm

    Just ran across this, thought it might be of interest: http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/11/05/men_housework/index.html

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: