Thinking about 2011 Goals
I may have mentioned (with enthusiasm!) that T is graduating next year and will be getting some sort of non-graduate student job. Yay T! This throws a whole bunch of question marks into planning for the year.
Here are a few things we don’t know right now:
- We don’t know what month he’s going to graduate in.
- We don’t know if he’ll find a job here or if we’ll move to another area, or even another country.
- We don’t know for sure that I’ll stay at my job (even if we stay here!)
- We don’t even know which type of job he will take (industry vs. academia), which means we don’t know what his salary range would be (industry will be higher)
- We don’t know if we’ll become a two car family (hopefully not, but it is possible)
- We don’t know if we’ll replace my 10 year old car (hopefully, but it isn’t for sure)
I’m trying to look on the bright side and realize that the unpredictability is exciting, freeing, and fun. But setting specific financial goals? Man, that’s going to be hard! I think I’ll just settle on setting priorties and see how the year goes.
We should have a lot of these questions answered by June or so, but… we don’t know that for sure!
What do you do when you have so much unknown in a single year? Set short term goals? Set longer term goals that you aren’t sure about? Maye every year a big unknown, and the only difference is that this year, I know what I don’t know!