2011 Goals and Plans
This is my first draft of my goals, and clearly, I’m not quite done. I know what areas I want to focus on. My biggest new focuses are the goals highlighted in bold blue. I’ll update this post with no TBDs sometime this week, but I wanted to share that I HAVE been thinking about this! A lot!
Financial Savings (Jan-June): Since we don’t know for sure what is going to happen later this year, I just made goals for 6 months.
- Save $8,250 in my 401k
- Save $2,500 in my Roth IRA
- Save $1200 in T’s Roth IRA*
- Increase car fund to $TBD.
- Increase long term savings to $TBD.
- Reevaluate in mid-june!
*T maxes his out by tax time, but due to more flexible income, he only automates $200/month
Financial Spending/Minimalism: These go hand in hand with the savings goals, but I’d like to break out a few specific challenges
- Don’t eat out in January, except socially (which we have been doing so often that it shouldn’t even be that hard)
- Buy no new clothes in February
- Keep total clothing spending under $400 January – June
- Sell one bike (we have 3 in our home right now!)
Fitness: This is running centric, because running is what I love most!
- Run 1000 miles in 2011! (and track in sidebar)
- Complete first marathon, injury-free
- Improve 10k race time by 5 minutes
- Take yoga class 2 times a month
- Run 6 races, including a trail run
- Try a new sport/activity
Travel/Hiking: This year we are focusing on California! Not only is California beautiful and amazing, this will allow us to save up more vacation dollars for the following year. Next stop, Patagonia (and some other yet to be decided places in S. America).
- Visit Yosemite front country.
- Go on TBD day hikes
- Climb Mt. Whitney as a backpacking trip
- Go on 2+ other shorter backpacking trips
- Catalina Island! We still have been unable to make this trip happen, but we did get to the Channel Islands last year. I’m not convinced we’ll be able to squeeze this in this year, but I’m going to try!
- Read 20 books. I should get 11 just from the book club I joined (I already read January’s), and it isn’t much of a stretch to get a few more.
- Blog about 6 new recipes. I regularly am trying new recipes, but I haven’t shared much here.
- Consolidate finances more (close extraneous accounts)
- Be open to new adventures. These goals assume things continue along the current path, roughly. This is possible, but we also may have some big changes, and I want to keep an open mind about it!