Since I was on vacation, then sick, I haven’t had the energy to write about money, even though some things have happened! Here’s what’s been going on in the SP household, financial and random:
- T and I started our taxes and I think we’ll get a refund around 3-4k… but his portion of our taxes are so much more confusing than mine! Self-employment income for consulting, fellowship income, and research income, tuition waivers…. Plus his 1098-T doesn’t even add up properly! We gave up and will try again this weekend
- I went back to my hometown and saw my cutie niece and nephew (and the rest of the family). The temperature was below zero for most of my visit and we huddled inside a lot. We also saw True Grit – highly recommend!
- I also picked up a nasty cold in the airport and was out cold for a couple days. I’m still a bit worn down, but I’m back at it, full force.
- And I missed an ENTIRE WEEK of marathon training. Back on the treadmill tonight! I can’t help but wonder if wearing myself out with running contributed to getting sick.
- The merging of money is going well, and once I get around to updating it, “my” networithIQ will also include some (but not all) of money that came from T’s savings. We came up with a joint efund number, and put our remaining cash towards other goals. Updates coming soon.
- I get a bonus! It is roughly equivalent to an extra paycheck, so both February and March will be 3-paycheck months! A lot of people think that bonus income is taxed differently than regular income (often at 40%). It’s not. It’s only withheld differently. That means that eventually (tax time) you get those “extra” taxes back. More information here.
- I’m anxiously awaiting my salary information, even though I have about a month to go before I find out. I have already been told what my “overall” rating will be, which plays into the raises, but it really depends on the bucket of funds. I know I’m currently underpaid given my education and experience (and contributions!), so I hope it is enough.
Now that I am all caught up on life, I’ll get back to regularly scheduled (ha) posts!