Northern Europe Rough Travel Budget
Plane tickets to Europe are obscenely expensive right now. As usual, I have very little flexibility as far as dates go, which doesn’t help. My friend recommended flying round trip to London and booking intermediate tickets on foreign airlines, but that doesn’t seem like it will save much money at all. If any. As of now, we’re planning on booking an open-jaw ticket (into one city, out of another). Round trip tickets to our main city are actually the same price, so… I don’t know. I’m just shocked at the prices. I wish I would have started planning sooner, but T didn’t know for sure he was going until recently.
Here is what the budget is looking like:
- One open jaw ticket from (LA to russia, norway to LA) during peak travel season: $1600 (!?!)
- T’s ticket will be reimbursed 100%
- Lodging in Russia will be reimbursed 100%
- Food in Russia will be reimbursed, but probably not 100% of my meals
- Transportation to Stockholm: $300 (two plane tickets, estimated)
- Transportation to Oslo (bus or plane or train – TBD): $150
- Lodging in stockholm (2 nights): $200 (TBD)
- Lodging in Oslo (1 night): $100 (TBD)
- Norway in a Nutshell “tour” from Oslo to Bergen: $500 (for two)
- Lodging in Bergen: $0, courtesy of friend
- Russian Visas: $100 or so
This adds up to about $3000, and then we still need to cover entertainment and about a week’s worth of food. Norway and Russia are both very expensive countries, so that could easily run us $100/day. This doesn’t include the fact that I’m likely will have to take some unpaid vacation to make this happen.
So…. really expensive!!! Not to mention that we actually have to pay a lot of T’s expenses up front and get reimbursed later (probably another $3000?). Still, I don’t think we’ll ever have an opportunity to see (parts of) Russia and Norway again for so cheap. The trip would be about half as expensive if I cut out the Norway portion, but I really am excited to see a piece of my family history. All I’ve heard about Norway makes it seem like an ideal country, and my friend there claims to be moving sometime late this year. I also justify this to myself by thinking about how we’ll probably start having kids in a couple years, and probably have less energy and funds to want to go to Europe. So… this totally makes sense right now.
But still. Ouch. Am I crazy?!