MacBook Air Purchased!
Quick follow-up: Even though T wanted me to post about his computer, he thought I didn’t explain his situation accurately. He almost never brings his laptop to campus, but this is mostly because it is heavy and inconvenient. He only goes to campus 2-3 times a week, so it isn’t a big deal, but in all likelihood his next gig will also involve a campus (but also, a salary!). That being said, I still think it is true that his old laptop meets his needs, and would continue to meet it for 6 months or more, and that was my point.
He bought the new MacBook Air! He is happy with his purchase, and I am fine with it. Wss it worth an extra $500 or so to get the thinnest & lightest machine that still can run the software he needs? (Similar PCs really are the same price.) I don’t know, but really, he never buys anything and was due for an upgrade, and I honored his choice. Some questions answered:
- How are we paying for this? Cash, naturally. And $125 in credit card rewards.
- But where did the cash come from? What else is it affecting? Our emergency fund sits at $25k and our general savings has another $20k or so. We are not currently saving for a down payment, car or baby. Our future is unknown and I expect to aggressively save for those once T has a “real” job. This money will come from some reimbursements he is due, so it won’t affect either account (except in that they would have had $2000 added instead of only $1000. ). Between the two of us, we save over $2000 each month in retirement, not including matching.
- What about black Friday deals? Last year, the discount was $30. They are already $60 cheaper at Amazon than the Apple store.
- Can he give up something else to “make up for it” in the budget? We don’t usually do purchases in this manner. The answer is not really, because he doesn’t spend much money on anything. And any cuts would affect me almost equally. Maybe we can reduce restaurant spending for awhile. Or alcohol.
- Can his old laptop go towards the purchase? It might be able to net $200 (optimistically). Instead, he turned it into some sort of network sever manager device and now we have automatic back-ups to the 1 TB external hard drive had. I’m really happy with this solution!
- Will he get a new computer with his new job? It is very unlikely. If he does, then I get this new computer! Or we can sell it.
- Why not wait? To be fair, he did wait 6 years. It is one of those purchases you could ALWAYS put off another few months. There is no good reason not to wait, but it seemed fair to get it now too.
Want to hear the funniest part? He went on travel for a few days this week to the East coast. H e was too nervous about taking his new laptop (“Because it is too new! What if something happens to it?!) and took his old clunker laptop instead. Ridiculous! I think he’ll get over it once the computer has been around a few weeks!