Home ownership, 2 years in
In the two years we’ve been in our house, here are the projects and repairs that we’ve done:
- New furnace and vents (and removed asbestos). This was something like $10k, and we did it upon moving in.
- Installed fans in bathrooms (DIY, a couple hundred dollars)
- Redid drainage to eliminate moisture in crawl space during rainy season. The crawl space is unused, just a concern about mold. This was something like $10k for a french drain, which we anticipated when moved in.
- Added gutters to the deck, patched up some other gutters. This was about $500.
- Repaired a few leaks on the roof. This was DYI, about $100 for materials. (We got quotes for fixing it on the order of $700, but the things they said they would do were kind of basic.)
- Put UV film on most of the windows, $220.
- Got our first round of blinds for the bedrooms, the only ones that really needed blinds for privacy reasons, $700.
- Put up gates on the back patio in preparation for the pup. About $300 in supplies, DIY.
- Earthquake retrofitting. Finally done! Final out-of-pocket cost will be <$1000.
- We’re in the middle of regrading our patio since it floods in the winter. I assume the previous owners installed it themselves, and they didn’t put in proper drainage (see a theme here?). We’re digging it out, then will put in the appropriate drain materials, then relay the flagstone. So far we’ve only bought buckets (yep, I’m hauling the dirt by the bucket), but the final cost is TBD. We’ll have to pay for gravel, lumber, etc.
We didn’t fully furnish everything and we already had a lot of stuff, but we did get a quite a few things:
- Chair and side table, $2k. Expensive because it is a modern designer, not outrageous because it was used.
- Sleeper sofa from Craigslist for spare room ($500)
- Big table to use in the office as a desk and an office chair, from university surplus store ($100)
- Several rugs for the hardwood floors (~$400 for two 5×8 rugs and 1 used 8×10)
- Patio furniture (yay!) ($1500)
- 8 new dinning room chairs (used)… but no table to go with them yet! $800
- New lighting fixtures for the dining room, $340. No more crazy swirl track lights that I hated!
- Bar stools, $60 for two. Eventually I’d like to get some nicer ones, but these are working fine.
- We’ve also slowly been replacing our recessed lighting with LED bulbs.
This list covers most of the major projects identified when we moved in, as well as the most critical furniture needs. Some things that are still on my wishlist are:
- New dining table (likely used) that seats more than 4 people and isn’t a high top
- Blinds on a few more windows
- More/better rugs. The one in our living room is pretty blah, but it serves a purpose and it is big. We could use a hallway runner and a rug in the spare room.
- Entryway project. It is usable right now, but it is ugly and haphazard. Like, I have 3M sticky hooks instead of proper hooks and we’re using an old end table as an entryway console.
- Shading for the deck to go along with the recent patio furniture. We might just get an umbrella, but I’m also looking at sail shades. We’ll probably wait until next summer to make this happen.